Sunday, December 13, 2015

Cesar Herreria

Introduction

I interviewed my father because he was he had the most experience in America that I knew of in my family. He was there when Manila Town was in San Francisco and he was aware of the politics at the time. He was very influential in my life because he taught me these things. I learned a lot about his experiences and made me appreciate my existence here.


Martial law in the Philippines caused my father to leave the Philippines. The civilian unrest with student protests against Marcos and the military made the Philippines a less safer place. Luckily his mom petitioned him to live in the United States. He visited a bar where he got into a conflict with some soldiers where they threatened to shoot him if he didn’t leave the bar. 
America to my father was a rich country where he learned that he can be successful if he worked hard. He was also aware of the racism here between blacks and whites.


My dad was knowledgeable about some of Philippine history when it was liberated in the US. 
Us military was using military bases in the Philippines to fight Communism in Vietnam.
33 years old when he left the Philippines. He left many of his family and his girlfriend at the time. 
He came here with his two brothers


When he first immigrants he lived in downtown San Francisco near the Castro district. He often visited Manila town where he drinked with friends. He was also aware of Filipinos in Daly City. 
He came here as a legal immigrant by his mom petitioning him. 
He was ok with his english and he was able to talk to people when he immigrated.
Goal was to have a good job and a house.
Found wife in the Philippines but later immigrated to the united states. They had a long distance relationship where he came back for her and helped her come to the US when they married. 
He married her in the Philippines in 1980 and then she immigrated here 1985 with their son. he later had me and my sister in America.
He made friends through work. He had many jobs as a doorman, laboratory tinter for a glass company, and he was bus boy in a restaurant. He made $8 an hour which was a lot compared to the Philippines.

Conclusion
My Dad gave me perspective of our family history and found out things that i never knew about. it made me appreciate him even more. When i tried to think about the Filipino American perspective i can gladly say that i have learned from the best of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment