Saturday, December 12, 2015

Dhiren Gadariya: Coming to America

Intro 

I chose to interview my step dad, Dhiren Gadariya. He was born in India and lived most of his life there. He moved to the U.S. in 2006 after marrying my mom. Adapting to life in the U.S. was difficult at first however after awhile of being in the U.S. he was able to adapt to life here. After 9 years of working various jobs and meeting new business people he now runs his own hotel business and is enjoying life here with his family. Below is his story and how he came to be where he is now.

Table of Contents

1. Family Background
2. Leaving India      
3. Settling in the U.S.
4. Life in the U.S.    
5. Reflection            

1. Family Background


Dhiren grew up in an upper middle class family. He grew up with a father, mother, older brother and sister. His family had their own little farm which they all helped run while balancing various jobs. His mother was a principal while his father was a district clerk in their county government. When he was younger he enjoyed playing sports and when he wasn't at school or on the farm he was with his friends. Him and his friends, depending on the mood, would either play cricket or badminton in the blazing Indian heat. To them it was all they knew and the part of the day they looked forward to most. Education was always very important coming from a disciplined household. After finishing high school my dad got his degree in Chemistry and became a health inspector for the government. 

2. Leaving India 


He met my mom in 2005 and they dated for a year. In 2006 they got married and my mom was able to bring him to the U.S. He viewed coming to the U.S. as a better opportunity for him and once here he wanted to do as best as he could. He left his family and friends back in India. Not only this but his job and education which he once cherished so much. Leaving was hard for him however he kept a positive attitude because he knew here he could have a better life for him and his new family.  

3. Settling in the U.S.


At first my dad had a hard time adjusting to the U.S. and its differences. He couldn't speak English very well and the diplomas he worked so hard for now meant nothing. He tried to go to school for a bit however after much consideration  he realized he didn't have the time or money for it. He made friendships with my mom's cousins and started getting more into business. After years of working hotel jobs and learning the ropes my dad leased his first property in 2007. The biggest difference for him was that there was no sense of community here in San Francisco. Back in India everyone knew everyone and they all looked out for each other. However here in the U.S. it was everyone for themselves. Over time though things smoothed out for him just as they should.

4. Life in the U.S. 


Now a days my dad spends his time managing his hotel business. It is a 24 hour thing and he puts a lot of time and work into his business. He moved his parents out to the U.S. about four years ago and they also stay with us. He has gained a group of friends who are also in the hotel business and is hoping to go into business as partners. On his free time my dad enjoys to golf and bowl very much. Every Sunday him and his friends go to play golf. He took up golf missing the old sports he once used to play. After improving his english and business skills my dad is leading a happy positive life. He is happy with where he is today and only plans on things getting better. When asked what he would do differently his answer was nothing. He made the right moves and worked hard enough to be where he is today. He is enjoying life and only wishes to become more successful. 

5. Reflection 


Looking back on the last nine years it was tough but worth it. He isn't living the "American Dream" yet but is glad with where he is at. Doing this project I learned a lot more about my dad. When I first met him it was awkward but I was happy to have a father figure. He's took care of our family through thick and thin and I couldn't thank him enough for that. He pushes me to be my best and I am grateful he's come into my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment